Performancing Metrics

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Quilting-Should have posted this back in March when I wrote it!!

I have been working on this quilt off and on for about two months. I have a wonderful quilting teacher that had guided our little group through each step of quilting. I have made quilts before, but always did it my own way, not the 'real' way. I used a rotary cutter to cut the strips, sewed them all with a 1/4 inch seam, cut all of those into blocks, sewed the blocks together and had a quilt front! (Oh, and I ironed it all every step of the way, which I NEVER do!)

Then I sewed the borders on and realized that my back was a tad too short. I figured this would happen and I had a plan. I did a strip of blocks down the back to make my backing bigger. I really love it!


Then, using safety pins, pinned the backing to the batting, to the quilt front. I machine quilted all of the cupcake print pieces. I had about two little puckers which you can't see at all, but I know they are there! Then I sewed the binding on. I wanted to make a quilt with a binding because I love the look of it. I wanted to hand bind it because I am really bad about lining up the back binding so that it is caught in the stitches as I stitch in the ditch. So, I started my hand binding and I love it!!! It is so relaxing and I get such a great satisfaction about looking back and seeing all of those tiny little stitches. Yes, I can see my stitches if I look hard, but I love the look of it! It has been fun.

I want to sew a nine patch quilt next, but I don't know who I would make it for! Any suggestions?? (Patty and Craig, I would love to make one for a little girl!)

1 comments:

Craig and Patricia said...

I totally love how it turned out. So adorable.