Performancing Metrics

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Special Day


Today was a really great day. Building up to today was an eight year adventure. Today Nathan was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Nathan has been my only child that has told me emphatically, "I hate church and I don't want to go." This has actually gone on for a while. Over the past few months as we have been getting him ready for baptism, his attitude toward church had me very worried. Really, the only thing I want in life is to help my children develop a sure knowledge of who they are and a firm testimony (and also for them to get along, but hopefully that will work itself out).

Two weeks ago I took the kids to the park, but Nathan really wanted to stay home and have some time with Jared. So while I was gone for the afternoon, Jared and Nathan talked the whole time about Nathan's feelings toward church, the gospel, baptism, etc. It was a two hour conversation and, I feel, a life changing situation for Nathan. His attitude toward church is completely different. He has a testimony of the gospel. Eight years of teaching him to recognize the promptings of the Spirit; I am starting to see that Jared and I have been successful. Now, I know that this is just the beginning, but the foundation is there and I feel it is a great accomplishment with this child.

As I am writing this I am wondering why I am writing this. I know that certain events are too special to share, but getting ready for Nathan's baptism has taught me quiet a few things. I really feel that children need to be taught at a very young age how to be sensitive to the Spirit. I think that our society is filled with too much 'noise' and we need to bring more peace and somberness into our lives so that we can experience sensitivity. Each child will feel this differently and as I parent I have to help the child recognize this in him or herself. I am so grateful to have such wonderful children and even more, grateful for an amazing husband that so freely shares his testimony with our children, teaches our children daily, and can touch their hearts in a way that I can't. He takes the time to do this daily (usually while I am trying to complete one more task on my list; a time when I really should be sitting down with our children too). I learn so much from him.

So many friends and family joined us for Nathan's baptism. I was so appreciative of everyone who was there to show their love and care of Nathan and our family. We have so many wonderful friends and family that have helped us get to this point. It was amazing to look around and see how many people care about us. To family and friends who may ready this, thank you for all your help with logistics of the day (baking cookies, setting up, cleaning up, helping serve, helping with the program, watching my kids as they wouldn't sit still for me packing up my car, I can go on and on), for driving here, for going out late on Sunday after a long day AND the BIG GAME and for your sweet spirits that added to the meeting. I feel overwhelmed with the blessings that I have.

0 comments: